Saturday, March 3, 2012

Savvy Sensation: Caitlin Lomas

Most of my Savvy Sensations have been writer/bloggers, but there is much we can learn from the amazing Book Reviewer Bloggers. Especially because they are the people who are reviewing or will one day review our own books! So today's Savvy Sensation is a YA book reviewer. Learn about Caitlin Lomas below.


Who are you (what do you write, what are your personal stats)?

I’m Caitlin, 22 year old philosophy graduate from the UK. I write my blog which focusses on reviews of YA books! I’ve been blogging for just over a year now.

Where can we find you online (blog, twitter, facebook, etc.)?
My blog: http://thecaitfiles.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/CaitLomas
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5028348-caitlin

When did you begin your online platform building?
I got Twitter in the summer of 2010. At first I just stalked my favourite authors and then started following book bloggers and viewing their blogs from there. Eventually I started interacting with them and then decided to bite the bullet and create my own blog in February 2011!

What is your message, if any (is your blog about anything specific, for example)?
Well I mostly review YA books and I think my message is that these books are as well written and enjoyable as any adult fiction. They have important messages in them and they are worthy of respect! In terms of blogging, my message is to write about something you enjoy, as that enthusiasm will shine through in your posts (I’m hoping it does in mine anyway)

How have you built your followers? What have you done that has been the most successful?
Through networking. I’d followed blogs for a few months before I made my own, so I knew all about the follower hops and memes like Waiting on Wednesday. I started taking part in these almost immediately, spending most of the weekend networking. I was featured on Parajunkee’s Friday Follow and I think that added to my success. I also try to leave thoughtful comments that show I’ve read a blogger’s post and I think that’s helped me be successful.

What have you done that has failed?
Trying to blog every day. I don’t have the time to post new content and network every single day, so I tend to post every other day, leaving time free for networking. I think it’s important that there’s a balance

How much time do you spend blogging? Reading blogs? Commenting on blogs?
A few hours a day. I tend to write a couple of posts so I’m always ahead. Then I’ll read and occasionally reply to my comments, visit everyone whose left me a comment and read their blog, read my blogroll and then I tend to just scroll through my googlereader looking at what interests me. I try to comment on at least 10 blogs a day and on everyone’s blog who commented on mine. Though I’m usually on Twitter/reading this whole time which limits my productivity ;)

What else should we know about you?
Well I’m hoping to work in publishing here in the UK! That’s my career goal and hopefully one day I’ll make it. I’ve done work experience and I’m currently interning remotely for a fantastic American company called Entangled Publishing.

Any additional advice for our readers?
Be a considerate blogger. If someone consistently reads and comments on your blog—do the same! Nothing worse than feeling you aren’t appreciated as a reader. Also, use Twitter, it’s so much easier to connect with people over Twitter.

What makes you unique?
I think we’re all unique bloggers and that’s what’s so great about following many different people! But I’m always honest in my posts, even if that means negative reviews sometimes. I also don’t have an angle, I’m blogging for me, not for any other reason, and I think that sincerity and genuine enthusiasm for YA shows in my posts.

Thank you so much for letting me spotlight you, Caitlin. You are truly Savvy and Sensational and have shared amazing info with our readers! 

12 comments:

mithrilwisdom said...

Wow, for only a year of blogging you've got one hell of a platform! My hat goes off to you!

Caryn Caldwell said...

Thank you for the great interview! I think a lot of people are under the impression that if they put up a blog, all the readers will immediately discover them and show up, but it's not like that. Networking takes work. Fun work, but still...!

AlexJCavanaugh said...

Smart girl! It's difficult to blog every day.

p.marques_guerreiro said...

Really interesting, and helpful to find out how someone else approaches blogging. I struggle myself when it comes to catching up with blogs I follow, so I quite like the idea of setting a goal like reading and commenting on at least 10 blogs a day. It sounds manageable and practical.

Great post :)

Laura Barnes said...

Isn't she sensational?? I'm going to steal all her techniques...

Laura Barnes said...

That's so true. I hear people ask, "I've been blogging for over a year, why don't i have followers?" People don't realize that you get what you put into it.

Thanks for the comment, Caryn!

Laura Barnes said...

OMG, is it ever! I can barely do my three times a week :)

Laura Barnes said...

I like that idea myself. Someone else mentioned that before and I've been trying to do it recently. I usually end up doing more, but the 10 a day is really realistic.

Caitlin said...

Thank you! I put a lot of work into blog so it's always nice to hear that people think it's good!

Caitlin Lomas said...

Definitely agree with you Caryn! You do have to network to get your blog out there and it can be hard sometimes but it should be fun!

Caitlin Lomas said...

I got the idea from another blogger, it really helps me because when I meet my 10 I feel I've had a good day and when I exceed it that's a great day! Definitely recommend trying it.

Caitlin Lomas said...

Thank you Laura for featuring me and for excellent questions! I enjoyed answering them and reading the comments =]

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...