That's kind of what it's like when you ask a question on your blog and then never refer back to it when people comment.
But you see that all the time, you say. That's true. Here's some tips for when it is and when it isn't ok:
- When you are building readership and have, say, two followers, you should always respond to their comments.
- When you have hundreds of followers, you do not have to respond to each and every one - they are usually commenting on each other.
- Do respond if a comment contains a question or complaint directed at you.
- Do respond if you said you were going to respond.
- Don't respond when people are having a debate. Let them work it out themselves while you remain unbiased.
- Don't respond when you can't remain calm in your comments. It's the old addage: If you can't say something nice, don't reply to a comment.
- Do respond if you are genuinely moved to respond.
Are there other do's and don'ts of comments and responses that I missed here? Share your valuable insights!