It's Monday again. How does that happen?
But the good news is that it's blog critique day. That's always a good way to start off the week, isn't it? Today's bloggy victim is the amazing, wonderful Book Dreamer, Shannon O'Donnell of Book Dreaming. Go take a peek and come on back.
Now, it's likely you are already a follower of Shannon. She's pretty popular. And I always have to give this little caveat before I crit a popular blog: If you have followers - you're doing something right. So out of everything I say, remember I'm just one opinion and only you know what's best for your blog. Okay. Since that's out of the way, I can talk to Shannon.
Shannon, my lovely. I do so love your blog. And I adore you. A fellow picture book/MG writer - How could I not? So let's talk a bit about your blog and see if we can't give you some things to think on:
- First I have to say you post wonderfully. You have a message. It's clear. It's consistent. Love it.
- Your header should be wider. Let your pictures fill all the space.
- As I always say, your name should be in your title or at least your subtitle. I'm glad it is in your blog address.
- And speaking of your subtitle...It's cute, it is. It makes sense because you are a teacher. But when I read that subtitle I think I'm going to get lots of posts about things your students or children say and how those things make good book ideas. Just something to think about.
- I love the location of your profile. But your name is so little. Can you make it bigger?
- I adore that you use color throughout your blog. It really makes it feel like it's about/for children without feeling too kiddish.
- Your three column set up (not usually my favorite) works for me, but you need more differentiation from your posts and sidebars.
- The white background of your posts does not bother my non-artist eyes. But my designers feel it is too stark of a contrast to your background. Joe suggests a really pale blue for the background of your posts - blue like the lightest blue in the clouds of your main background. And then your columns should be a bit darker - maybe a green. These should be very pastel though and text should be readable over them. Play around with it. Maybe it won't be for you, but try it.
- It's a little tricky to tell where one post begins and the other ends. This is mostly because you use a lot of colors and so it's hard to spot your headlines. You could make your footer's have a background shade that differs from the rest. Or you could add the Link Within app. This would add a distinct row of pics between each post.
Okay, I'm done. These are all really just aesthetics. Your blog functions perfectly. I love reading your posts and it appears that many others do too. Great blogging, Shannon!
What do you guys think about Shannon's blog? Anything you'd suggest?