In this last year, which has been incredible, I have met amazing people. At the risk of sounding dramatic, some of these people have changed my life. Others may not have changed it, but they've deeply sweetened it. So, to celebrate my anniversary of June 8th, I'd like to recognize 8 of these amazing folks (or groups of folks). In no particular order, here we go:
1. Kimberly Ann Miller, my first critique partner. Kim is the only CP I've had that's been there since the beginning. She's an amazing cheerleader but also has a good eye for what works and what doesn't. The best thing about Kimmy is her upbeat personality. I love and admire how she never seems to get down. This year she got her own publishing contract with Spencer Hill Press. Expect a check-in with her and her marketing prep later this month.
2. Gennifer Albin. Gen's own life has completely turned around this last year with a huge deal with FSG MacMillan. Her soon-to-be-released debut, Crewel, will knock your socks off. But this post is about Gen's influence in my life. Besides being an awesomely cool, talented writer, she started the Write-at-home-mom's group I'm part of (WrAHMs) which has so completely become my home. Her insight and desire to create a haven for like-minded mommies has been life-changing for me. She's also got the best advice and inside information. Love her!
3. The WrAHMs. How can I not acknowledge every one of those inspiring, funny, creative, fabulous women? This writing group is, well, I kind of covered it above. Tomorrow I'll tell you a little bit more about a few of these women who are helping out with my Mega Giveaway when I announce the winners.
4. Robin Lucas, Bethany Taylor, Tristina Wright, Melissa Brady King, Jackie Felger, and Katherine Ernst. I could write a novel on each of these incredible chicks, but for the sake of brevity I'll just say that all these women have been awesome crit partners for me this past year. I am so very lucky to know you all. Your talent blows me away on a daily basis. Luck and love to each of you.
5. An unnamed editor for an awesome small press. I don't think it's kosher to name names of pubs you turn down, but this woman offered me an exceptional deal for my Middle Grade novel, sWitch. I still wonder if I did the right thing. Regardless. This editor and her team had faith in me and my book. I will forever respect her and wish her and her team nothing but success.
6. Agent Laurie McLean. I'm not gonna lie: I wish she were my agent. When I received the publisher's deal, Laurie who was (and still is) reviewing my book, she gave supportive and very helpful advice. I very much admire that time and energy she gave me when I'm not even her client.
7. Susanna Leonard Hill. Susanna is an author of picture books and she's just cool. She always goes out of her way to promote nothing but enthusiastic and informative blog posts. Her comments on my posts are dear and engaging. And she'll go out of her way to make sure that people who purchase her books feel valued.
8. Matt McNish and Alex J. Cavenaugh. Matt was one of my earliest blog critiques and, man, did he drive followers to my own blog. One of those followers I met through Matt was Alex. From both of them I learned about giving to the blogging world and what it means to truly earn followers and supporters. Come back Wednesday for a guest post from Alex. It's gonna rock.
Whew! I know that was a lot to read through. I hope you did, though, because each of these people/groups of people are incredible and I hope you take the time to meet them all. Thank you, magnificent 8! You've made this last year wonderful!