Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WOC Marketing Posts

First, thank you so much for all the congrats and support for reaching 100 followers. It's truly been so enjoyable. And Sharon was the perfect winner because she had been having a pretty bad day until she got my email.

Next I have to tell you how glad I am that my older kids are back in school. Even though that means other things in my life will get busier, I have so much more time to do things, even with my toddler still at home.  Maybe it's not more time I've gained, but just more structure.

Which is why I finally have had time to give you a little recap of WriteOnCon. It's been a week, but here's a few highlights I'd like to share, mostly from a marketing perspective:

  • Author J.S. Lewis posted on Successful Marketing and Promotion with School Visits. I enjoy working with kids as well as writing for kids and his ideas are the kind I am actually planning when I am eventually (hopefully!) published. Very few authors will take up his advice so you are at an advantage if you do.
  • Excellent advice was given from Agent Sara Megibow On Platform.  Seriously read this one. She tells you what you should have on your website/blog BEFORE you query here. Yes, I said before. So get working on that.
  • Authors Lisa and Laura Roecker talked about Collective Blogging and Book Promotion. Great tips for online and in person. And a good reminder that you don't have to do everything alone.
  • Editor Liesa Abrams gave a very insightful post on An Editor's Perspective About What Authors Should and Should Not Talk About Online. Read it and check your own presence.
  • Finally, because it's inspirational, Author Beth Revis said Don't Give Up. It's also interesting to see how one writer works on her revisions.  But mostly it's just an awesome reminder about the value of failing.
One other item of business:
Do you see that picture to the right that says I'm a Platform-Building Campaigner? That means I am part of Rachael Harrie's Platform-Building Campaign.  Are you? Get over there and join! Sign-ups end August 31st!

I have ten minutes before my kids get home. I better jump in the shower.

What did you enjoy from WOC? I'd love to hear what really helped/touched you.  Are you part of the Campaign? Do you have kids you're glad are in school? Share it all!

6 comments:

Melissa Hurst said...

I loved Writeoncon this year! It's so much more fun when you participate in the forums. Plus, there were so many fantastic articles and live chats. I couldn't keep up with it all. I really loved the vlog by Beth, too. It made me realize that if we keep at the writing long enough and don't give up, we can realize our dreams one day.

Theresa Milstein said...

Beth Revis's vlog was pretty awesome.

See you at the Campaign!

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow campaigner here!

I loved writeoncon. I learned so much! it was amazing. I hope that they keep doing it

Michelle Fayard said...

Thank you so much for sharing these links, Laura. I've read in more than one source that school visits usually earn authors more income than do the sales of their books. As the author of your linked blog article wrote, why wouldn't we consider this option, especially now that it can be done virtually?

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Fellow campaigner here! Nice to meet you :) We are in the same picture book group 2

elizabethanne said...

WriteOnCon was excellent! There were so very many helpful blogs and vlogs, it's hard to choose just one. At the stage I'm at in my writing, I found Emma Walton Hamilton's query critique invaluable.

I'm a campaigner as well, we're in the same multiple genre group. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...