Friday, September 30, 2011

Facebook Friday: Get yourself stalked

A few weeks ago I likened FB to high school. (Remember that?) Since then I've set about telling you what that means to you as an author here and here.

Today I continue this discussion with stalking. You know what I'm talking about. Reading everything someone has posted on FB but never interacting so that person is completely oblivious to your interest in him or her. We've all done it. And as I said in my FB is like HS post, when you stalk someone else, it has no bearing on the popularity of your own posts.

BUT

If people stalk you, your posts do become more popular. So if you want to be popular, get yourself stalked.

Ok, ok, that sounds like a great sentiment, but how do you do that, you ask. Here's a few ideas:

  1. Pull people to FB through your other social media.  For example, let's say I have a picture I want you all to look at of me signing my book contract (and believe me, if I had a book contract I would have a picture). Maybe I post one on my blog and then, because I don't want to clutter my blog and I want you to visit my FB page, I say, "Come see more of my pics here" and then link to more photos on FB.I'm inviting people to stalk me. And lots of times, they will. 
  2. Post status updates that have a past. Nothing draws me into someone's FB profile than a status like, "Remember when I told you that cool thing might happen? Well it happened!" Yes, it's annoying, but it makes me wanna know more. Suddenly I'm spending all day looking through someone's FB profile for the cool thing. Ok, that example is mean and lame, but I'm trying to illustrate a point. If you can find a way to connect your FB statuses in an unannoying way, then totally go for it. Like tell a story over several statuses. People who missed parts of it will go to your profile and go back. Automatic stalking.
  3. Get other people to do the work for you.  Creating ways to draw other people to post to your FB page can also draw other people to read. Hold a contest, for example, asking people to post pictures to your page of their favorite book covers. Or ask people to write tag lines for your book. You are correct - that isn't stalking, but other people will come to read them. Especially if you ask for something that might draw witty or humorous posts. And that's stalking.
And there are so many other ways to draw people to stalk your FB page. Do you have some you'd like to share? Do you have any examples of authors who have drawn people to stalk? What makes you stalk?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noodles extruder: The very Omega 8006 has got an spread of spaghetti
mister nozzles. One of the main pronounced more likely to be to be able to motionless spend your time whenever you have
numbing power. In the event you head spend a little more,
make sure that you given to all of these a test. These particular
home appliances may vary to look at, only to find they have just one
operation Such as which will draw out charge hailing from foods or to green vegetables.


Here is my homepage ... best blender

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...