Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday Savvy Sensation: Rachael Harrie

I have the coolest Saturday Savvy Sensation post ever: Rachael Harrie, yes the Rachael Harrie of the Platform Building-Campaign is on my blog! That so deserves an exclamation point, doesn't it? I'll shut up now and let you hear all about the goodness that is Rachael from her own mouth, er, I mean, hands.

LB: Who are you (what do you write, what are your personal stats)?
Rachael: I write YA Horror. The logline for my current WIP is: Seventeen-year-old Verity Ronson is murdered by the boy she loves and awakens with deadly powers and an unquenchable desire for vengeance—if only she can stay sane long enough.

I’m a lawyer-turned-writer, an Aussie, and a mother of two beautiful girls. In March I organized Write Hope (an online charity auction for the Japan Disaster) with some of my critique group friends, and I took part in WriteOnCon for the second time this August.

LB:Where can we find you online (blog, twitter, facebook, etc.)?





LB: When did you begin your online platform building?
Rachael: I began blogging in June 2010, but it wasn’t until the end of August 2010 (after WriteOnCon) that I 
became actively involved and focused on building my online platform.

LB:What is your message, if any (is your blog about anything specific, for example)?
Rachael: I keep my blog solely writing-focused, though I also talk about blogging tips and tricks and marketing/platform-building. My aim is to reach out and connect with other writers, no matter what stage of writing they may be at. Twice a year I hold Writers’ Platform-Building Campaigns, which last for 2 or 3 months at a time and involve hundreds of writers networking together and helping each other build their online platforms. My Third Campaign is running right now, though I’m not taking on any new Campaigners (my next Campaign will be in February 2012).

LB: How have you built your followers -
What have you done that has been the most successful?
Rachael: I launched my first Writers’ Platform-Building Campaign (then called a Crusade) in mid-September, and my second in February of 2011. My First Campaign had 55 Campaigners and my Second had 217 Campaigners. My Third Campaign, which is running right now, has 480 Campaigners. By my first year blogiversary in June 2011, I had 750 followers. Now, I have well over 1,000 J In terms of platform-building, I’d count my Campaigns as my most successful venture.

LB: What have you done that has failed?
            Rachael: Um...can I take the Fifth? J

LB: What else should we know about you?
Rachael: I’m very passionate about my writing. I love meeting new people through blogging, and I particularly love making new friends. I’m always looking for ways to “pay it forward” and help others out.

LB: Any additional advice for our readers?
Rachel: Discover what you intend to focus on in your blogging and target that particular audience. You can still talk about other things on your blog, of course, but if your main audience is writers, try to make all your posts relevant to writing in some way.

Never think you’re too small/have too few followers to do anything. When I began my First Writers’ Platform-Building Campaign, I had fifteen followers!!!

Make sure you have fun in your blogging. If it starts to wear thin or become a chore, it might be time for a break.

Don’t expect to be able to sit back and have bloggers knock on your door. You need to get out there and follow and comment on other peoples’ blogs in order for them to come to yours. The blogging community is very big on reciprocity.

And lastly, make sure your profile is linked up with your blog so people can follow you back to where you live! Check out this post [http://rachaelharrie.blogspot.com/2010/11/blogging-tips-link-your-blog-to-your.html] if you’re not sure what I mean.
 
Oh, my gosh, I don't have to blog ever again because Rachael just said everything I ever would say in one big bad post. Thanks so much, Rachael, for giving us your wisdom. And thank you for your amazing campaigns. You are certainly a Savvy Sensation!

2 comments:

Rachael Harrie said...

Thanks so much for the interview Laura, and your lovely comments as well!

Hugs,

Rach

LauraBarnes said...

You're welcome!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...