Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog Critique: Gail Shepherd's Paradoxy

Wow, it's here! My very first blog critique. Forgive me as I get used to the best format to present in. I think this should prove very fun and informative, though.

First, let me state that this critique is not solely my opinion. I also relied on the help of my husband, Tom Barnes, a graphic designer and Joe LaRue, also a graphic designer.

Alright, our first victim  volunteer to have her blog critiqued is Gail Shepherd with her blog Paradoxy. Feel free to take a moment, click over and look it over before continuing. I'll wait.

Now I have posted a full list of all the things I look at in a blog on my Blog Critique page. Here I will just touch on a few rather than all of the components:
  • Overall look: We love the steampunk Alice in Wonderland feel of your blog. It's a template, but not overdone. Very interesting to look at and it draws me in. It does create a couple of problems, however. It takes up a lot of room; on most computer screens you have to scroll a little to see any words which is not ideal when you are an author. Unless you are an artist or this art is related to your writing, it might not grab the readers you want. That leads to the second problem with this look...
  • I don't know who you are: The header doesn't connect with your posts. I'm also not sure if it connects to your writing - do you write steampunk? Having pages to your books or sample writing would help this. It seems from your content that you are giving writer tips and reviews. This header and your blog title doesn't really show this (though it is a paradox!). You could tell us simply in a one-liner underneath your header. Look at mine above for a sample.
  • The template is a bit cluttered: I would suggest going to only one side column if you can and lose some of the irrelevant items, put them on the bottom or make pages for them. You could lose your label cloud and put your blog roll on another page.
  • Color: We love your use of color, but our graphic designers would like to see your post headers darker and bigger to draw them out. The light blue font color on the sides is too light. Can you change it in your template?
  • Profile is too low: Get your profile up higher on your page so I can see your beautiful face. You say you're published - get me some of your samples! You never know what connections you could make. I would like the side column to be - Profile, Follow, Join this Site, then Twitter.
  • Writing Consistency: Overall, it looks like your consistency is really good, but then this last week you didn't post much so I'm not sure if that's your pattern. Let us know when you will post. 
  • Post lengths and content: You are very consistent on the lengths of your posts and content. Good job! I'd still like to know what kind of posts I'm going to be reading without having to search through your past posts. 
  • Easy to follow: It is easy to follow you and subscribe by email, but you have two sections for this which is confusing. Limit to one. 
  • Like to see: We'd like to see a search box so we can find things on your blog and links to your top posts or a link within widget so people can easily find older posts.
Gail, you have a great blog with great, consistent material. These suggestions are merely suggestions, of course. You alone know what is best for you and your readers. Great job with what you've done so far and keep up the good work!

Anyone else have any feedback for Gail on her blog? Do you agree or disagree with our suggestions? We value your thoughts and opinions whatever they may be.


17 comments:

Michelle Fayard said...

Laura, I LOVE this new blog series; what great advice, especially our remembering to add a tag line that describes who we are—because not everyone will know we are pre-published or published authors unless we say so. :)

LauraBarnes said...

Yes it is. Thanks for your comment, Susanna.

Coleen said...

I like it! I am especially drawn to the pictures--I like pretty things ;)
Anyway, Laura thanks for all your comments--I am using them to help me learn and blog better!

Laurarbarnes said...

It is a very eye-catching, I agree. Very pretty. Thanks for the comments!

gail shepherd said...

Laura thanks so much! I just got back from New York and I'm playing catch-up (didn't post for a week while I was there.) These are great suggestions, and I will definitely incorporate most of them--I'm not a genius with messing around with HTML, so making changes always takes a lot of time. I much appreciate the feedback--you rock!

LauraBarnes said...

Oh yes, you did tell me you were going to be away. I should be thanking you! Not many people would accept being first. Thank you so much for letting me give some feedback!

gail shepherd said...

Hey Laura, I made a lot of the (simplest) changes you suggested, and it does look better. Still got a bit to do: I'm not sure if I can make the switch to a 2-column format, but I'll try--it just might take some time. Take a look and see what you think!

LauraBarnes said...

Gail, that's wonderful! It looks much cleaner already and I love seeing your profile right on top. Very simple changes but they make a great impact! Thanks for sharing!

Susanna said...

But it's still a great blog!

Susanna said...

I really like Gail's blog and wouldn't have found anything wrong with it until you pointed out some things that could be done better. Now that you have, I have to admit your comments make sense. I have much to learn in this department!

LauraBarnes said...

Thanks!

LauraBarnes said...

Yes, right on. I would really like to see the space below the posts a lighter color from the rest to make the posts stand out but I think that would be a difficult change with the template she is using so I didn't mention it. Thanks for the comment!

Sarah said...

This is fascinating and useful! Can't wait to read more of these critiques.

freya.sterling said...

Agree with a Laura's points. It will go from being a good blog - to a great one. The most important things to me would be the font colour - hard to read - and then the middle section, which includes the posts needs to be bigger, which getting rid of the left column. Great stuff!

Janet Johnson said...

Definitely will be looking at my blog with some of these suggestions. :)

LauraBarnes said...

Great! I really am glad this is helpful!

Laspeedwing said...

wow that's some tough love...but then if Gail volunteered...;-)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...