First, let me state that this critique is not solely my opinion. I also relied on the help of my husband, Tom Barnes, a graphic designer and Joe LaRue, also a graphic designer.
Alright, our first
Now I have posted a full list of all the things I look at in a blog on my Blog Critique page. Here I will just touch on a few rather than all of the components:
- Overall look: We love the steampunk Alice in Wonderland feel of your blog. It's a template, but not overdone. Very interesting to look at and it draws me in. It does create a couple of problems, however. It takes up a lot of room; on most computer screens you have to scroll a little to see any words which is not ideal when you are an author. Unless you are an artist or this art is related to your writing, it might not grab the readers you want. That leads to the second problem with this look...
- I don't know who you are: The header doesn't connect with your posts. I'm also not sure if it connects to your writing - do you write steampunk? Having pages to your books or sample writing would help this. It seems from your content that you are giving writer tips and reviews. This header and your blog title doesn't really show this (though it is a paradox!). You could tell us simply in a one-liner underneath your header. Look at mine above for a sample.
- The template is a bit cluttered: I would suggest going to only one side column if you can and lose some of the irrelevant items, put them on the bottom or make pages for them. You could lose your label cloud and put your blog roll on another page.
- Color: We love your use of color, but our graphic designers would like to see your post headers darker and bigger to draw them out. The light blue font color on the sides is too light. Can you change it in your template?
- Profile is too low: Get your profile up higher on your page so I can see your beautiful face. You say you're published - get me some of your samples! You never know what connections you could make. I would like the side column to be - Profile, Follow, Join this Site, then Twitter.
- Writing Consistency: Overall, it looks like your consistency is really good, but then this last week you didn't post much so I'm not sure if that's your pattern. Let us know when you will post.
- Post lengths and content: You are very consistent on the lengths of your posts and content. Good job! I'd still like to know what kind of posts I'm going to be reading without having to search through your past posts.
- Easy to follow: It is easy to follow you and subscribe by email, but you have two sections for this which is confusing. Limit to one.
- Like to see: We'd like to see a search box so we can find things on your blog and links to your top posts or a link within widget so people can easily find older posts.
Gail, you have a great blog with great, consistent material. These suggestions are merely suggestions, of course. You alone know what is best for you and your readers. Great job with what you've done so far and keep up the good work!
Anyone else have any feedback for Gail on her blog? Do you agree or disagree with our suggestions? We value your thoughts and opinions whatever they may be.