Friday, October 28, 2011

NaNoWriMo = MeNoHereNow (AsMuch)


I am participating in NaNoWriMo for the first time ever. I should, after all, since I claim to be a writer, actually write something. Now, usually I don't post about such writerly stuff - I stick to the marketing - but I wanted to let you know that I am making that my priority for November. Usually this blog comes before my writing, but I am going to put this on the back burner.  I am not exactly going on hiatus. I have blog crits and Savvy Sensation interviews already lined up. I just might not be as active on the comment front. Who knows? This is my first time, remember?

I expect many of you are also doing NaNo and you might not be around as much either. Here are a few reminders for anyone planning to step back from blogging now or anytime:
  1. Numbers may go down: Whenever you post less, comment less, or are less interactive on your blog, expect that you may have less visits and comments from your readers. 
  2. It may take time to rebuild: When you return to your regular schedule, your readers may not automatically return. You may have to rebuild a bit, but it shouldn't take as long as it did the first time.
  3. Tell people what's up: Let people know you are taking a break from the blog world and, if possible, for how long so they know what's up with you.
  4. But not every day: One post saying where you are is all you need. Don't post several updates about sorry I'm not here, I'll return, I promise. All that does is clog up our Google Readers. We want to read content from you. Chances are with all the blogs we follow that we didn't really notice you were gone until you reminded us.
  5. Priorities show: If your blog is your priority, that's awesome. I bet we can tell. If your writing is your priority, that's more awesome. That's how you're going to get an agent or published or win you that book award. Take time for what you need. You can always change your priorities in the future.
Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? Good luck to all of you! I'll see you on the other side :)

18 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

I'll be participating for the first time, too. I'm not sure how my blogging will play in the stream of things, but I dare say blogging will come last. Great post.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

November will definitely be a slower blogging month for many people. And then comes December.

Good luck with your NaNo project, Laura.

Janet Johnson said...

Best of luck with NaNo! I won't be doing it, but excited for those who are. :)

Nick Wilford said...

Good luck, Laura! Hope it all goes well. I'm on holiday during Nov so it's ruled out for me (no internet access), but maybe next year.

http://nickwilford.blogspot.com/ (As I can't get my normal Google profile to come up on here... probably being thick!)

Angela Brown said...

This is so exciting. I am participating. Have been fiddling with the story idea in my mind and anxious to get it on paper.

This is a great challenge and I hope to see you as we all engage in this month of insanity - I mean - ahem - glorious writing revelry :-)

Carol Riggs said...

I'm not participating in NaNo, but I'm looking forward to fewer blogs to visit while everyone else does and posts more infrequently. LOL Good luck, everyone!!!!!

Christine Rains said...

I'll be doing NaNo this year. I've done it every year since 2003. It's fantastic! I plan to let my blog audience know what's going on. Hopefully I can get a few posts written ahead of time and schedule them.

Susanna said...

Great post! And I'm with Carol - looking forward to others being busy with NaNo so the blogosphere is less busy and I have more time to write! :) Good luck with NaNo!!!

Sarah Pearson said...

I was about to change my blogging schedule from twice a week to three times, then I sugned up for NaNo. I think I'll wait until December :-)

LauraBarnes said...

Good idea! I kind of wish I hadn't signed up for so many blog crits this month, but its all good :)

LauraBarnes said...

Good for you! Make writing your priority!

LauraBarnes said...

Thank you!

LauraBarnes said...

OMG, I so need a blog reading break. Can't wait!

LauraBarnes said...

Yay! and good luck to you!!

LauraBarnes said...

Wow, that's dedication! Good luck!

LauraBarnes said...

A holiday with no internet? I don't know if I'm extremely jealous or if I think you're psycho! Have fun!!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I think the NaNo badge is explanation enough. I expect to see fewer bloggy friends around during November. Maybe I'll get more writing done too. I signed up for the Picture Book Idea Month. So, I'm writing ideas for picture books and a few other projects too.

Julie Hedlund said...

Good luck with your debut NaNo (I have yet to do mine...)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...