Lizzi, you have a good beginning. We love the overall format (one column sidebar) and the font choices. The date display is also very nice. There isn't a ton we have in the way of suggestions. But you know us; we're never short of opinions.
- Title: We would like to see your full name in your title or subtitle. Readers want to see what you're selling (you) from first glance. The subtitle needs to be a thicker font. It's hard to read. Both the graphic designers would also like color in your black title bar. The black doesn't bother me, but I'm not as visual of a person.
- Background: At first we were like, what is that background and what does it have to do with her blog? I mean, cool colors, but what's it about? Then we saw the explanation on the sidebar. I like it's meaning. It makes sense. I understand you are all about beginnings right now. I just wonder if there might be a better way to tie that pattern into what your blog is about - make it more cohesive. It's also a problem that....
- Message: I don't know what your blog wants to be. Are you going to blog about music and equine dentistry? Or just writing? I don't get a sense of that because your subtitle is telling me a ton of stuff, your spiritual geometric pattern is telling me you are about beginnings, and your posts are saying "writer". Streamline. Make them all fit together and your blog will evolve to the next level.
- About Me: First, I love that your profile is perfectly positioned. I was also very excited to see you had an "About" page. Then I discovered your about page is just a wordpress template. Either fill it out about you (please!) or delete it.
- Writing: What do you write? I want to at least know what you write about and, even better, connect to samples of your writing.
- Pictures: I really don't mind you not using pics in your posts because there is so much color in your background. But if someone is reading you from Google Reader, your posts are going to be blah. Just something to consider.
- Search Box: I always want a search box. As your blog gets bigger, think about adding one.
- Consistency: As you build your following and work your way to published author, its best to keep a consistent schedule. Though many people will follow you in their Google Readers and just be happy to read you when you pop in, some will actually go to your blog and look for you. Also, if I'm a first timer at your blog and see you haven't posted in awhile I get a little iffy about your blogging commitment. Some people aren't bothered by such things, but I'm a judger. What can I say?
Great job blogging and rewriting your life. Good luck to you. I can tell you have compassion and a great outlook.
And now I turn it over to the readers: Any thoughts or suggestions for Lizzi?