Saturday, July 2, 2011

Facebook Friday: Name Your Page


It's Facebook Friday and I bet you're dying to know this week's Facebook tip:

Suggestion: Change your Facebook username.

For example, my page is named: www.facebook.com/laaandstuff. If I didn't change it, it would still say something like www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509283490. That's not a very easy name to remember, is it?

Tip: Now I've had my account for awhile so I already had named my page, but if I hadn't, I would choose something more like my actual name. The point is to make it easier to direct people to you. They will remember it better if it is as close to your name as possible.

In case you don't know how to do it, let me tell you. It's super easy:

  1. Login to your Facebook account.
  2. Located on the top of the page, on the right side, you will see an “Account” box. When the drop down menu appears, click the “Account Settings” option.
  3. The second menu item should be “Username.” Click the “Change” button on the right side.
  4. Enter your new name choice, and hit the “Change Name” box.
  5. Facebook only allow this change ONCE EVER! Which is why I can't change it now to something like LauraB.
Ok here's some terminology for you: your Facebook address that you changed is called a vanity URL. In general, a vanity URL is intended to link to something with a name that is easier to remember than the randomly assigned URL you would normally have.

Have you changed your vanity URL? Did you know how to do it before today? What's the silliest vanity URL you've come across? Here's some to inspire you: http://mashable.com/2009/06/13/silliest-facebook-vanity-urls/

2 comments:

No One said...

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know you could change it. I'm not on Facebook right now, but I will be going back on soon, and I will definitely try that.

Laura Barnes said...

Thanks, Rain! I will be posting Facebook tips on Fridays so stay tuned for those.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! You can choose to comment as a guest or use any of the other login options available after you hit "Post As". Thanks for contributing to the conversation :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...