Today's blog is from Nancy S. Thompson. Check it out.
Ok, Nancy, here's what we love:
- Title: Yes! Use your name in your title. When agents or readers search your name, it's easier to find you. And you are branding yourself after all. I wish that more blogs had the author's name in the title (or subtitle).
- Profile: Pic and blurb is right up top. Can't miss it. Right on.
- Follow: It is easy to follow you by email and for readers to share your posts.
- Depth: You have pages (depth) and they have samples of your writing/WIP related stuff (query, pitch, etc.). This is awesome for the non-agented blogger. Hmm, I really need to put mine up...
- Search: You have search! I love that. I want everyone to have search. (Move it up so it's easier to find though).
Now just a few suggestions:
- Monotonous header: We don't always mind a solid color header, but yours is too similar to the background in the lower part of your blog. If the colors were complimentary instead of shades of the same (like yellow compliments purple) it would be better. You could also....
- Move navigation: If you put your navigation across the top instead of at the side it will stand out better and help break up the monotony.
- Post background color: When you have two side columns like you do, a different color behind your posts helps give them more attention. I prefer a one column, actually, but two columns can work if it's easy to distinguish from your posts.
- Profile: Remove that you "recently discovered you like writing." It immediately makes you think you are a novice and I am more likely to make judgments about your writing even before I've read a word you've written.
- Consistency: Your blogging seems to be sporadic. Make a schedule and stick to it. It lets us know you're serious about your craft.
- Photos or Link Within: I would suggest using more photos or add the Link Within app to add some color to your background.
- Labels: I haven't mentioned this to anyone before, but I personally think labels are not used as well as they should be. I think they should be, as much as possible, streamlined. Pick label names that can encompass lots of similar posts such as "awards" for all your award posts. Your post titles are for being more specific.
- Contact info: Where is it? I'm a firm believer in including it on its own page.
Great blog, Nancy! I turn it over to the readers now. Is there anything else you would like to suggest for Nancy? Anything you disagree/agree with that I mentioned?